A New Song: Celebrating the King James Bible
A New Song is Folger Consort's first entirely new recording in eleven years. It was produced in 2011 as part of the worldwide celebration of the 400th anniversary of the King James Bible. Musical settings of biblical verse and other sacred works from the reigns of England's James I and James II by composers Henry Purcell, Thomas Tomkins, Orlando Gibbons, and John Blow are complemented by instrumental fantasies and lively dances by Purcell, Gibbons, and Giovanni Coprario.
With Washington National Cathedral's chamber vocal ensemble CATHEDRA and instrumentalists Risa Browder, violin; Robert Eisenstein, violin; Christopher Kendall, lute, theorbo; Adam Pearl, organ; Alice Robbins, viol, basse de violon; and Henry Valoris, viola.
Folger Consort, 2011. Bard Records. Compact Disc. Running Time: 77:24.
A New Song CD track listing:
1) My beloved spake Henry Purcell. Song of Solomon 2:10, 16
2) When David heard Thomas Tomkins. 2 Samuel 18:33
3) Sonata in F Purcell. Allegro-Adagio-Canzona-Grave-Allegro
4) I was glad Purcell. Psalm 122, Book of Common Prayer, for the coronation of James II
5) Fantasia Orlando Gibbons
6) Be strong and of a good courage Tomkins. Joshua 1:6, for the coronation of James I
7) Suite in D minor for two violins, viol, and organ Giovanni Coprario. Fantasy-Alman-Galliard
8) This is the record of John Gibbon. John 1:19
9) Suite in D major for two violins, viol, and organ Coprario. Fantasy-Alman-Galliard
10) Hosannah to the Son of David Gibbons. Matthew 21:9; Mark 11:9
11) A Ground John Blow
12) Hear, O heavíns Pelham Humfrey. Isaiah 1:2, 4, 16-18
13) Sonata in G minor Purcell. Largo-Canzona-Largo-Adagio-Presto-Allegro-Adagio
14) Praise the Lord, O Jerusalem Purcell. Psalms 147:12; Isaiah 49:23; Psalms 48:8; Psalms 21:13